Saturday, August 16, 2014

kitchen chronicles

I'm a slave to a good recipe. I love trying a new dish and getting rave reviews from the hubby.

I mention this because at present, I'm preparing to make my first roast chicken. 

This is a big deal for me. I've never been an amazing cook, and I was pretty ok with that. Then I got married and well, life changed. For the first time in a long time I actually wanted to be better. It's not uncommon for me to be hosting at our house and that means, well - putting food on the table. (Good decor only gets you so far unfortunately).

There are certain dishes I feel like every woman should be able to make (calm down to all the feminists among us). They don't need to be amazing but I mean it's like baseline family survival:

1. Fried chicken (check!)
2. Roast chicken
3. Baked chicken
4. Roast beef
5. Some kind of fish (salmon all day)
6. Mac & cheese (making this tonight too ... eek!)
7. Ribs (check)
8. Some type of dessert (on LOCK; I'm a baking MACHINE!)

Ok so maybe this is just my beginner's bucket list but either way I'm almost there!

I still wish I would have learned more about cooking from my grandma before she passed away. My mother never really enjoyed cooking and I wasn't all that interested in learning when I was younger anyway. But one of my role models said it best: "if you can read, you can cook." And I'm a pretty good reader.

I think my grandma would be proud.